NEW EVENT – The 1st Ever Virtual Hoverrally
YOU have a chance to be part of history! The first EVER Virtual Hoverally will take place this year from April 22nd – 30th. You may be wondering – what in the world is a Virtual Hoverally? Please see below for the details.
What is the Virtual Hoverally?
A Virtual Hoverally is a cruise where you hover at any location around the world during a certain date range. You can cruise for as far as you like, as long as you hover the minimum distance requirement. For this inaugural event the minimum distance you need to hover is 25 miles roundtrip. Participants must use a smart phone app to track your route and distance traveled. Once you complete your cruise you must submit your tracking data and distance to the event organizer.
Online Registration: Opens at the first week of March and goes through April 29 at www.hoverclubofamerica.org.
Registration Cost: $30 for members, $20 for passengers riding along with a member.
Why should I participate in the Virtual Hoverally?
The short answer would be because it’s cool! Here are more detailed reasons:
- The opportunity to be part of the first EVER event of this kind!
- The chance to get a really cool shirt.
- No traveling – you can hover locally at your favorite spot.
- Time – you can pick any time during the event date range to complete your cruise.
- It’s an opportunity to share your cool hovering experience with other club members.
Who can participate?
This event is open to all Hoverclub of America members. Not a member yet? Go to www.hoverclubofamerica.org and click on the member signup link!
What do I have to do?
It’s simple – complete the following steps:
- Go to www.hoverclubofamerica.org and login.
- Click on the Event Calendar link.
- Find the Virtual Hoverally event and complete the registration process.
- Complete your cruise during the date range of the event.
- Log your trip with a smart phone app or GPS software. One such type is KAYAKLOG. (For more info visit www.kayaklog.net)
- Take a minimum of 3 pictures that highlight your cruise.
- Share your log info (map of your route and total distance information) along with your pictures to the Hoverclub of America’s Facebook page with the hashtags #hoverclubofamerica and #virtualhoverally before midnight on the last day of the event.Make sure to include your name in your post if your Facebook username is different than your member name.There are many ways to record your cruise data.Most GPS devices have software that you can download your info – worst case scenario, take a picture of your GPS or a screen shot of your phone!
Can I participate with other members?
Of course – make sure they register too! The Hoverclub of America has always encouraged our members to hover together. Not only is it more fun to hover with other members, there is safety in numbers.
Do I have to complete the distance all at once?
Yes – the goal is to complete a 25 mile roundtrip cruise at minimum. If something happens and you can’t complete 25 miles you can try again during the event window.
Can I complete multiple cruises?
Yes – however only one cruise should be submitted.
I don’t have a craft but can I ride along with another member and get a shirt?
Yes – but you still must register as a passenger, pay the fee, and complete the requirements.
If I register but don’t complete the cruise do I still get the shirt?
No – you must complete the event requirements to get the shirt. Registrations are non-refundable.
When will I receive my shirt?
In order to receive a shirt you must submit your cruise information to the HCA Facebook page with the correct hashtags by midnight on the last day of the event to show you completed the cruise. Once you have completed the requirements you will be mailed your shirt within 30 days of the event end. This allows time for shirts to be ordered and mailed. Shirts will be mailed to the address we have on file. Please make sure your contact information is up-to-date on the club website. If you need assistance with this please contact email@example.com.
In order to receive a shirt you must have your name in your Facebook post with the hashtags. The hashtags allow your posts to be sorted so the organizer can determine who participated.
Can I purchase extra shirts?
If you complete the requirements and are interested in purchasing additional shirts contact the event organizer immediately after you complete your cruise to discuss options.
What does the shirt look like?
The shirt will be a good quality short sleeve t-shirt and it is currently being designed. Once the design is ready, you will be notified through email and it will also be posted on our club’s website (www.hoverclubofamerica.org) and Facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/hovercraftclubofamerica)
I don’t want to participate but can I buy the shirt?
Sorry, shirts are only for those members and their passengers that complete the 25 mile cruise during the event window.
Why does it cost $30?
The $30 ($20 passenger) covers the cost of the shirt and postage. Leftover proceeds will benefit the club.
I don’t live in the United States, can I still participate?
Yes! The Hoverclub of America has members all over the world and we would love to have you participate.
I don’t have a Facebook account, can I still participate?
Sorry – due to this being a “virtual” event a Facebook account is required to post your results. Please consider creating an account – it’s free!
We really look forward to this new type of event that I feel will become a huge hit with not only our club, but with our fellow clubs around the world. We hope to organize more of these events as our schedule allows – perhaps one each in the spring, summer, and fall. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Please stay tuned to the website and your email for any updates! This event will be here before you know it – start preparing your craft now!
“See” you there!