THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER AND LOW INTEREST
ABOUT THE CRUISE:
Back by popular demand, the scenic Wabash River to Sugar Creek cruise into Turkey Run State Park has been absent from the Hoverclub event schedule since 2008. Turkey Run is Indiana’s second state park and features a gorge system formed by the drainage of the creek as it cuts down through sandstone bedrock. This cruise is a fantastic opportunity to test your piloting skills as the Wabash River portion of the cruise provides large stretches of river that allow you to move quickly, while the Sugar Creek portion depending on the water level, can be very challenging due to its many twists and downed trees. It is a very scenic cruise that features cool geography, historic covered bridges, and Turkey Run State Park.
The cruise will depart at 10am from Reeder Park on the banks of the Wabash River in Montezuma, IN. It is anticipated that we will arrive at Turkey Run by noon. Members, friends, and family members not cruising are encouraged to meet us at Turkey Run State Park on the suspension bridge. We will park on the bank below the suspension bridge at Turkey Run State Park and then walk up to the Inn for lunch. It is important that we get to the lodge before 2pm in order to make it before lunch hours end. After lunch participants have three options:
- Head back to Montezuma
- Hike the trails at Turkey Run State Park and then return back to Montezuma
- Continue up Sugar Creek to Canoe Island at Shades State Park and then return to Montezuma.
After the cruise participants are encouraged to stay for dinner at a local restaurant. More details to follow.
Reeder Park to Turkey Run State Park - 20 miles
Turkey Run State Park to Shades State Park – 11 miles
Please note the following items:
1. There are no good places to recover broken down craft along Sugar Creek, so we ask that only reliable hovercraft participate.
2. Bring extra fuel. You will burn more than you think because of the twisty nature of the creek.
3. Due to the obstacles that can restrict the creek, larger craft (15’+) may not be able to make it depending on conditions.
4. The potential exists for many canoes to be on Sugar Creek - so keep a watch for them!
5. Make sure your craft meets proper safety requirements.
Reeder Park Montezuma, IN:
400 N. Washington St.
Montezuma, In. 47862
Reeder Park is located four blocks south of the caution
light off State Hwy. 36
Turkey Run State Park:
8121 Park Rd
Marshall, IN 47859
Shades State Park:
7751 S. 890 W.
Waveland, IN 47989