Hovercraft races are run on a land/water track which typically includes a mix of tight turns and fast straight sections. This is an action packed sport for participants and spectators of all ages. The Hoverclub of America has a long history of safe racing events and a strong committment to maintaining this record. Club sponsored events are conducted in a manner appropriate for family and/or youth group participation
The Hoverclub of America has started a new Endurance Racing initiative that is slowly catching on in the rest of the world. Instead of racing multiple heats of 5-10 laps, a single race consisting of 25+ laps has been created that encompasses crafts of all makeups, size, and speed. Endurance races are long enough that the very fast traditional race machines must have pit stops for additional fuel and repairs. Slower, more multi-purpose machines may not have to stop for additional fuel, creating an even playing field that is entertaining for racers and spectators.
The Hoverclub of America sanctions the following racing classes:
- The unlimited class of hovercraft racing. With no upper limits on the size or number of engines, it has the potential to be the fastest and most action packed event. 600 cc two stroke and above (900 cc 4 stroke and above). Minimum age for participation is 16 years and is recommended for experienced drivers only.
- Formula 2 class machines may use any number of engines provided their total displacement does not exceed 599 cc (899 cc if 4 stroke engines are used). Minimum age for participation is 16 years. Recommended for experienced drivers only.
- Formula S machines are restricted to a single engine, fan and duct. The engine is not limited on displacement.
The minimum age for participation is 16 years.
- Formula 50 machines are restricted to a single engine, fan and duct like Formula S, but the engine must be a Rotax 503, or Rotax 447, or acceptable equivalent 50HP twin cyinder, two stroke, air cooled with factory exhaust. The minimum age for participation is 16 years.
- Formula 35 machines are limited to a total rated horsepower of 35hp using "stock" 3600 RPM 4 stroke engine(s). The minimum age for participation is 11 years.
- The Junior class is open to children 11 up to age 18 and machines rated for the Entry Level, F35, or up to 277cc 2-cycle powered.
- Entry Level machines are limited to a total rated horsepower of 15hp using "stock" 3600 RPM 4 stroke engine(s).The minimum age for participation is 11 years.